November is a big birthday month in my family including me, my oldest son, my mother in law and two of my cousins so of course we love citrine! Last month we gave you a list of interesting facts about the Opal(October's birthstone),let's see what Citrine, the November stone can tell us...
- Citrine is also known as "healing quartz" because it supports vitality and health while bringing energy and warmth to the wearer.
- The citrine has also been called a "success stone" or "merchant stone" as it is said to promote prosperity. The stones are often kept in the cash drawer of businesses.
- The stone comes in a variety of hues from pastel yellow to a dark orange similar to amber.
- Citrine is primarily found in Brazil, Russia, Africa, and the USA.
- The name "citrine" comes from its citrus, lemon-like color.
- Be careful! This stone is often created by a lab heat process from the amethyst stone. Make sure you know what you're really getting.
- Topaz, which comes in a variety of colors, is also considered a November birthstone
Happy birthday to all you October babies! Here are some fun facts about your birthstone; the opal...
- The opal is associated with hope, innocence, happiness, purity, faithfulness, loyalty, and confidence.
- The opal is often used to enhance visualization, imagination, dreams, and healing.
- 95% of opals are mined in Australia. The remaining 5% come from Mexico, Brazil, and the United States.
- The name "opal" means "to see a change in color". The stone comes in a variety of colors; black, crystal. yellow (fire), and white. All of these variations have their own set of characteristic colored flecks. The milky white opal is most common.
- Opals should be worn often, because they only contain 2-6% water. They can become brittle when stored in a dry place, but if worn frequently they absorb humidity off the wearers skin.
And just in case opal doesn't strike your fancy, pink tourmaline (pictured above) is an alternate stone for October birthdays. Do you have any interesting facts to share about these majestic birthstone? Let us know!