Log in

Stone of the Month: Opal

 

 


Happy birthday to all you October babies! Here are some fun facts about your birthstone; the opal...

  1. The opal is associated with hope, innocence, happiness, purity, faithfulness, loyalty, and confidence.
  2. The opal is often used to enhance visualization, imagination, dreams, and healing.
  3. 95% of opals are mined in Australia. The remaining 5% come from Mexico, Brazil, and the United States.
  4. The name "opal" means "to see a change in color". The stone comes in a variety of colors; black, crystal. yellow (fire), and white. All of these variations have their own set of characteristic colored flecks. The milky white opal is most common.
  5. Opals should be worn often, because they only contain 2-6% water. They can become brittle when stored in a dry place, but if worn frequently they absorb humidity off the wearers skin.
And just in case opal doesn't strike your fancy, pink tourmaline (pictured above) is an alternate stone for October birthdays. Do you have any interesting facts to share about these majestic birthstone? Let us know!
 

Add comment

Loading